Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just what are YOU worth?

Ever wondered what you are worth?  Really, I am not kidding… you know how hard you work – ever thought about it?  What are your efforts worth?  Sure, if you work outside your home, you know what your job pays you, but what about all that other stuff that women are expected to do?  If you didn’t clean your house, you would pay for a maid, if you didn’t do your laundry, you would send it all to the cleaners, if you didn’t cook your meals, you would pay a chef or eat out every meal.  See what I mean?  So, just what ARE you worth?
For the 10th consecutive year, salary.com has released their Mom Salary Wizard that will calculate what you should be paid for all the work you do.  “Salary.com has valuated the "mom job" of both the Working and Stay-at-Home Moms! Based on a survey of more than 28,000 mothers, Salary.com determined that the time mothers spend performing 10 typical job functions would equate to an annual salary of $117,867 for a stay-at-home mom. Working moms 'at-home' salary is $71,868 in 2010; this is in addition to the salary they earn in the workplace.”[1] 
In order of the amount of time that Moms spend at these tasks, the ranked titles of a mothers work are: housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, facilities manager, van driver, psychologist, laundry machine operator, janitor and chief executive officer.  Salary.com determined the pay for each of these jobs based on today’s economy, provided the annual salary as well has the hourly pay.  They listed the number of hours per week that a stay-at-home Mom performed the task as well as the number of hours per week that a working engaged in the action. 
And the total salary for mom should be...  (And don't forget the overtime!)
Stay-at-Home Mom: 58.9 hours of overtime
Working Mom: 20.5 hours of overtime

With time and a half for overtime, if an employer had to pay cash for all that mom does:
Stay-at-Home Mom: $117,855.86
Working Mom: $71,860.37*
*This is on top of Working Mom’s regular salary, of course.
Cruise on over and see what you are worth.  You can even print yourself a paycheck once you compute your salary!
Here’s a great slide show on what each job is worth:

3 comments:

  1. I just did my "mom" salary calculator and it equals the amount I get paid at my "day" job. An interesting approach to figuring out what your time is worth. In a society that at times seems to value money above all else this puts the job of mom in a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This was an eye opener. My mom salery was more than double by day job. It is definately interesting to see the numbers and it puts a whole new outlook on the things we do as mothers on a daily basis. Most of us as moms don't even think twice about the jobs we do around the house. I think the next time I see my mom I will say thank you for all she has done and is still doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually jokingly told my husband that he better be glad he doesn't have to pay me to do all I do around the house and for the kids!!! Now if someone else would pay me, we would be in business and debt-free! HA! I also recently heard something similar on the radio (and possibly from the same source) about the mom salary. Thankfully, I take care of the house and the kids because I enjoy doing it (for the most part) and know that I am being a good steward of what I have been given.

    ReplyDelete